pyjama by priya - a product's worth
do you know the value of what you buy?
the value of a product is so much more than just the price tag. we believe that the true worth of a product is all the hard work, dedication and love that goes into it. this is why we want to take you on a journey to learn more about everything that goes into a handmade product.
in the following illustration you will discover the most important work steps of the pyjamas by priya.
key facts about the production:
- production time: it takes approximately 6 weeks to produce one batch of pyjamas (ca. 150 - 200 pieces) but up to a whole year for a collection to come to life.
- people involved in production: from printing onwards 15 people at least plus priya, the founder
highlights of the product:
- block printing is a traditional handcraft in india, where priya's products are produced. the block printing process is an elaborate process where the fabric is laid out on huge wooden tables and then printed block by block. every color gets its own block and is then layered on the fabric. the colors are hand-mixed on-site by the printing master.
- the very intricate printing process needs to happen very fast because the colors change shades when they sit for too long, which makes it really hard to produce consistent patterns.
did you know?
- beauty bags are produced with the offcuts of the pyjamas. this process not only creates another beautiful product but also makes sure that fabric waste is kept as low as possible.
words from the founder:
the design and production process of handmade goods in a sustainable context is very complex and takes a lot of time. especially for small businesses where oftentimes, like in priya's case, the founder takes over many roles like designer, strategist, publicist, operations manager, and many more.